Wireless communications, signal processing, communications technologies
Associate Professor Durrani’s research interests include machine learning for communication systems, wireless information and power transfer, energy-harvesting-enabled wireless communications, drone communications, machine-to-machine and device-to-device communication, stochastic geometry modelling of finite area networks and synchronization in communication systems.
Associate Professor Durrani has been with the Australian National University since 2005. In 2021 he also took on the role of Associate Director Education (ADirE) for the School of Engineering. Associate Professor Durrani completed his PhD degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia in 2004, and received his BSc (1st class honours) degree in Electrical Engineering from the University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore, Pakistan in 2000.
He has co-authored over 150 publications to date in refereed international journals and conferences. His papers have attracted +5000 Google Scholar citations at a citation h-index of more than 30 and citation i10-index of more than 65. He has been a chief investigator on three Australian Research Council (ARC) Discovery grants (including two as lead chief investigator), with total funding of $1.14m. He has supervised more than 90 students.
Activities & Awards
Associate Professor Durrani currently serves as an Editor of the IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON COMMUNICATIONS. He has acted as external examiner for 26 PhD and 4 MPhil theses from Australia, Canada, India and Pakistan. He was the Chair of the ACT Chapter of the IEEE Signal Processing and Communications Societies from 2015 to 2016. He is a Member of Engineers Australia, a Senior Fellow of IEEE, USA and a Senior Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, UK.
- 2020: Recognized as AI 2000 Internet of Things (IoT) Most Influential Scholars Honorable Mention (ranked 42nd in IoT over 2009–2019)
- 2019: Special Commendation in the 2019 ACGR Award for Excellence in Graduate Supervision.
- 2018: VC Award for Excellence in Supervision
- 2018: Certificate of Appreciation for Notable Services and Contributions towards the advancement of Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) and the Engineering - Profession
- 2016: IEEE ComSoc Asia Pacific Best Paper Award
- 2014: Fellowship with HEA
- 2012: VC Award for Excellence in Education