- Nov. 2019-today: (tenure-track) Lecturer (Eng.: Assistant Professor) at the ANU.
- Oct. 2016-Oct. 2019: Project coordinator (over the entire runtime) of the technology transfer project Do it yourself, but not alone: Companion-Technology for Home Improvement, which was a collaboration between two Institutes of Ulm University and the Corporate Research Sector of Robert Bosch GmbH.
- July 2009-Dec. 2017: Dr. rer. nat. at the Institute of Artificial Intelligence of Ulm University, Germany. My supervisor was Prof. Dr. Susanne Biundo-Stephan.
- Oct. 2003-June 2009: Studies of Computer Science (Diploma, which is roughly Bachelor + Master in one degree) at the University of Freiburg, Germany.
- July 2021: Check out this interesting summer internship on AI and ML:
- May 2021: I have a fully funded PhD scholarship available. Please apply! (See my notes above)
PhD under my supervision
- Interested in doing your PhD under my supervision? Check out this website.
I am almost exclusively working in automated planning, one of the main disciplines of Artificial Intelligence.
I am primarily interested in Hierarchical Task Network (HTN) planning, which is a hierachical approach to planning, where tasks are refined step-wise until a primitive executable plan is obtained. Closely related is the problem class of HTN planning with task insertion (TIHTN planning), where we are also allowed to insert actions arbitrarily thus combining HTN planning with classical planning. (I also created a website on hierarchical planning.)
I'm also interested in partial order causal link (POCL) planning, a planning approach based on search in the space of plans. Here, reasoning about partially ordered actions become of major importance.
Within all these frameworks, research questions/areas that I'm mostly interested in are:
- Complexity investigations, specificlally for the plan existence problem (Is there a solution?)
- Heuristic search, i.e., algorithm and heuristic design.
Potential student projects
Complete student projects
You find all my service roles (past and present) listed on my personal webpage.
But since it's "important", let me mention here that since November 2021 I am:
- A first aider for the Hanna Neumann building
- I'm also a mental first aider (technically also for Hanna Neumann, but everybody can approach me of course)
On my personal website, you can find:
- Resources for students, e.g., LaTeX slides template, presentations about creating slides and project reports, paper recommendations, and much more.
- Course Material, e.g., slides or video recordings.
- Some (non-professional) entertaining links, like (fun!) educational youtube channels, comics with academic context etc.