Biomaterials, polymer thin films, antibacterial surfaces, organic electronics, biodegradable materials, green chemistry, non-equilibrium reactive chemistry, plasma nanoscience, nanobioscience, material characterisation, in vitro material testing
Professor Bazaka’s interests broadly include development of novel nanotechnologies that offer maximum efficiency at minimal environmental cost to facilitate sustainable societal and economic development. Where this issue is presently addressed by sustainable materials syntheses, designing bio-degradable products, and exploring sustainable energy sources, her goal is to apply green chemistry approaches across the entire life cycle of nanotech products, from design and nanomaterial synthesis to utilisation and disposal. Currently, Professor Bazaka’s research focuses on the development of efficient methods that minimise process steps and dramatically reduce the use of expensive and/or hazardous reagents to be applied to low-cost natural and waste sources to produce sophisticated, high-value nanomaterials with a wide range of applications.
Professor Bazaka is also an Adjunct Associate Professor at the Queensland University of Technology. She currently holds an Australian Research Council Future Fellowship to develop new electric propulsion devices, and an ANU Futures Fellowship in the area of plasma medicine and biotechnology. In 2013 – 2015, Professor Bazaka was a recepient of an Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, to conduct research on functional nanobio coatings to enhance the biological performance of implantable materials. She received her PhD cum laude in 2012, MBA in 2009, and MEng in 2005, and was awarded a Graduate Certificate of Academic Practice from QUT in 2015.
Activities & Awards
Professor Bazaka is a reviewer for: American Journal of Infection Control; Biology; Future Microbiology; Mycoses; Journal of Microbial & Biochemical Technology; Materials Chemistry and Physics.
Professor Bazaka’s awards and fellowships include:
- 2013 to 2015 - Australian Research Council Discovery Early Career Researcher Award
- 2013 - Endeavour Research Fellowship
- 2012 - Australian Institute for Nuclear Science and Engineering Gold Medal
- 2012 - James Cook University Medal for Excellence for Doctoral Research Thesis
- 2010 - Endeavour Research Fellowship
- 2008 to 2012 - Australian Postgraduate Award (APA) Scholarship
- 2008 to 2012 - Australian Institute of Nuclear Science and Engineering Postgraduate Research Award
- 2011 - Inaugural Advanced Manufacturing Cooperative Research Centre Student Prize for James Cook University
- 2009 to 2010 - Science and Innovation Award for Young People in Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, Australian Government Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry
- 2008 - Queensland Government Smart Women - Smart State Award