Dr Nguyen received his bachelor degree in electrical engineering from Portland State University, Oregon in 2011 with a GPA of 3.97/4.0. From 2011 to early 2013, he was a product yield engineer at Intel where he received the Intel Global Test Manufacturing Group (TMG) Excellence award in Q4, 2012.
In 2016, Dr Nguyen received his PhD in engineering (photovoltaics) from the Australian National University (ANU). In 2017, he was a visiting scientist at the United States' National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL). Currently, Dr Nguyen is a research fellow and lecturer at the ANU. He has published 40 scientific peer-reviewed papers, delivered 8 international talks and seminars, and is an Associate Fellow of The Higher Education Academy, UK.
Australian Renewable Energy Agency (ARENA) R&D Round 3 (03/2018-09/2021).
- Project title: Driving increased efficiency and reliability in silicon photovoltaics - from ingots to modules
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead), Fiacre Rougieux, Hieu Nguyen, Pheng Phang, Anyao Liu, Kelvin Sio (ANU)
- Total value: AUD$9,153,470 ($3,425,330 cash and $5,728,140 partner in-kind)
Australian Centre for Advanced Photovoltaics (ACAP) Post-Doctoral Fellowship (01/2018-12/2020).
- Project title: Multiscale and depth-resolved spectral photoluminescence for characterising silicon solar cells
- Recipient: Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$1,178,000 ($483K cash and $695K in-kind)
The ACAP’s US-Australian Collaboration Grant (2016-2017)
- Project title: Advanced photoluminescence studies of silicon wafers and solar cells
- Recipients: Daniel Macdonald (lead) and Hieu Nguyen
- Total value: AUD$110,000 ($60K cash and $50K in-kind)
- Mr Thien Truong (primary supervisor, 2018-2022)
- Mr Mike Tebyetekerwa (primary supervisor, 2018-2022)
- Ms Jessica Wu (co-supervisor, 2016-2020)
- Mr Ziyuan Cai (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Zhuofeng Li (primary supervisor, S2 2018 and S1 2019)
- Mr Boyi Chen (primary supervisor, S1 and S2 2018)
- Luminescence spectroscopy and imaging
- Novel characterisation techniques for photovoltaics
- Solar cells
- Functional materials