Catherine is particularly interested in applying systems-led thinking to complex problems, with convergent technologies and trans-disciplinary projects being personal passion projects. Catherine brings an entrepreneurial solution-focussed approach to challenges and cutting edge applications of research.
Working across global projects across new horizons of technology and engineering development, Catherine has a wealth of experience around complex, multi-modal, and data heavy trials and applications. World-first projects and finding the balance with industry, government, academia, and NFPs are areas of particular success for Catherine.
Catherine also likes to present, write, and produce STEM communications to engage with everyone across society, and believes that STEM Literacy is a human right.
Catherine’s research areas include:
- Applications and ecosystem development of new and emerging technologies
- STEM and digital literacy
- Science Communication
- Systems Engineering
- Use of drones for medical service delivery
- Command and control of multi modal platform technologies
Associate Professor, Dr Catherine Ball is a scientific futurist, speaker, advisor, author, founder, executive producer, executive director and company director working across global projects where emerging technologies meet humanitarian, education and environmental needs. Catherine also likes to create businesses and champion movements, collaborate with peers, and advise game-changers.
Catherine continues to support Australia as being the world leader in the advancement of ethically driven technological applications. Industry 5.0 is emerging; with society and community at the heart of how we operate and curate emerging trends and capabilities. Catherine lives in Queensland with her husband and two sons.
Catherine holds a BSc Honours (Environmental Protection) and a PhD (Spatial Ecology, Descriptive and Predictive Statistics) from the University of Newcastle- upon-Tyne in the United Kingdom.
Activities & Awards
Awards & Recognition:
- 2015 Courier Mail Q Magazine: Queensland’s 50 Best and Brightest
- 2015 Innovator of Influence at National Innovation Week
- 2015 Queensland Telstra Business Woman of the Year
- 2015 National Telstra Business Woman of the Year (Corporate)
- 2015 AFR’s Boss Magazine Young Executive of the Year
- 2016 Courier Mail QBM Magazine: 25 Influential Movers and Shakers
- 2016 Top 25 Women in Robotics List (Global)
- 2016 Financial Review and Westpac 100 Women of Influence
- 2017 Finalist in Womens’ Leadership Awards
- 2017 AFR’s Boss Magazine True Leaders Game Changers
- 2018 Drone World UAV Congress 2018: Global UAV Award
- 2020 50 Most Renowned Women in Robotics (Global)
- 2020 Brisbane Lord Mayor’s Business Awards: Outstanding Micro Business Award Winner (World of Drones and Robotics Global)
- 2020 MEA Awards Queensland State Winner: Association Event of the Year (World of Drones and Robotics Global)
- 2020 MEA Awards Australian National Winner: Event Legacy Award (World of Drones and Robotics Global)
- Advisor to Schmidt Ocean Institute
- Advisor to Ocean Impact Organisation
- Mentor in the Minerva Network
- Advocate for the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
- Ambassador to the STEM in Schools Partnership NSW
- Mentor at Superstars of STEM
- International Judge at Airwards
- Judge at Innovation Australia Awards
- Companion at Engineers Australia
- Member at American Geophysical Union
- Member at IEEE