BANDALANG RESIDENCY 2023#
We are excited to announce that The Bandalang Studio will be opening its doors to residential visit in 2023. These residencies will provide opportunities to industry professionals, academics, practitioners and thinkers in Indigenous knowledge to focus in a supportive environment.
- Applications open 25th November 2022
- Applications close 7th February 2023
About the Bandalang Residency#
The Bandalang Residency is open to all First Nations researchers, practitioners, community leaders, entrepreneurs and thinkers who want to engage with engineering and related disciplines.
The Bandalang Residency is a residential visit at the newly established ANU Bandalang Indigenous Engineering Design Studio in the School of Engineering on Ngunnawal and Ngambri land.
Residents will be paid and otherwise supported to practice, research and engage in educational development that contributes to changing perspectives on engineering in Australia and more broadly.
This is an opportunity to help shape the conversations in honouring Indigenous science and technology in engineering at ANU and in Australia.
The Bandalang Residency offers#
Residential package equivalent value of up to $25,000.00 and may include:
- Weekly living allowance
- Travel costs including flights
- You will be provided accommodation on campus at the ANU Apartments
- Appropriate office space and access to ANU workshops
- An option to travel with an assistant or companion for the duration of the residency
- Potential funding for projects
The Bandalang Residency details#
- This is an identified opportunity. All First Nations peoples are welcome to apply, with a strong preference for applicants who identify as Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander.
- International First Nations applicants who are not Australian residents are welcome to apply, however special conditions may apply
- Residency time frame up to 6 weeks (negotiable)
- Applications open 25th November 2022
- Applications close on the 7th February 2023
- There are up to 10 funded positions open
- Residencies will run throughout the year of 2023, as suits applicants.
- Unless negotiated otherwise, residencies will take place on our Acton campus in Canberra on Ngunnawal and Ngambri Country.
- We are running our first Bandalang Residency through December. If you’d like to ask questions of the current resident, please email or call any time.
To apply please submit the following 3 items:#
- Curriculum Vitae
- An example of your work:
- Links to publications
- Links to collaborations
- Photos or videos of your work
- Any other relevant material
- 500- 1000 words (or 2-5 minute video) describing:
- Your current work
- How you will use this residency opportunity/what you will do
- What your requirements are to conduct your work during the residency
- How your work relates to the mission of the ANU Bandalang Studio
Please feel free to ask for advice or support for your application. Enquiry details below.
This is a flexible opportunity#
A customised package can be negotiated with you based on the nature of your research or practice and your individual needs.
You can call or email the Bandalang Studio Program Manager Nyssa Miller to discuss your thoughts or queries anytime.
Submissions and Enquiries
Work with us#
Are you looking to make founding contributions to the Australian National University in our work towards honouring Indigenous knowledge in the field of Engineering?
The ANU will soon be seeking to appoint First Nations leaders whose expertise lies in Indigenous knowledge systems. The appointee will help shape the new Indigenous Engineering Design Studio to effect high impact independent and interdisciplinary collaborations, research and education in engineering.
Please email with any questions that you might have firstname.lastname@example.org
You can get in touch here.